How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

What is independent parenting assesment?

This answer was rated:

what is independent parenting assesment?
Hi, thank you for your question. I am a qualified family solicitor.
An independent parenting assessment is an assessment of a parent's capacity to care for a child. The assessor is usual an independent social worker who is not linked with the local authority
Please rate positive if you found this helpful.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi I have made an application oppose adoption orders for my two children how likely I might be able to oppose this?
That will be a difficult question to answer without assessing the papers of your case. However, opposing an adoption order will only be successful if there has been sufficient change has been made since care orders were granted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi since care order PO made September 2013 I have made suffient changes. That's why I have two applications. My two children are living with propective adopters. I have evidence of the changes.
I just wanted to know opposing adoption are there merits?
Initially you will need to see a legal aid solicitor so that they can assess your means and merits to apply for legal aid to represent you in the application.
Sufficient change would mean meeting the shortfalls that were identified during the care proceedings and ensuring that you are able to demonstrate that you are able to maintain the changes throughout your children's upbringing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi even if my children are living with adopters they have made an application for adoption orders. I want the court to refuse the application allow me to be reasseses to care for my two youngest children who are age 7 years and 5 years
Would I need to be cross examined
What is good enough parenting?
Good enough parenting is basically being able to meet the needs of your children up until adulthood and to protect them from significant harm.
If you were successful in applying for leave to oppose the adoption order then you will very likely need to undergo a further assessment in order for the court to see that you have made the necessary changes. You are also likely to be cross-examined regarding this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I was to undergo further assessment will contact start to happen with my two children? I might have to be observed how I am with my children during contact. Is it possible to appeal if I am not sucessful in opposing the adoption and PO?
Contact commencing will depend on whether the further assessments are positive.
If your application for leave to appeal is refused then, depending on the reasons for refusal you may be entitled to appeal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi What further assessment's will there be?
That would depend on the facts of your case. If permission to appeal is granted then the case has to be listed for a directions hearing so that parties can agree what assessments and evidence is required. It will usually be similar assessments to those carried out in the care proceedings so that those experts can update the court regarding any changes that have been made since.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi can I request independent parenting assessment? Not done by the LA?
Yes that would be possible
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In the previous care proceedings the independent parenting came out if I was reconsile with ex husband children would be at risk. And if the six children were to returned I would require practical support. But the social worker guardian did not support IA recommendations. Because my older 4 children have additional needs
But 4 children are long term fostering my two youngest PO/adoption placement.
But now I have my life around I am only two youngest children not all six.
Is this reasonable request to be assessed for my two youngest chIldren?
I think of you are unable to meet the needs of the children who require additional support then it is best tonfocus on the children who are to be adopted and demonstrate how you are able to meet their needs throughout their upbringing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi I was victim of DV by ex husband if my two children plan return to my care if I am successful how can contact with their father can be arranged?. I fear he will manipulate my children
This will have to be looked at as part of the final care plan, if the court approves a plan for the children to return to your care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi how do I prepare for cross examination ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HI has there been successfull oppose adoption?
I do not think it is a good use of your time and energy to think about preparing for cross-examination until you are successful in applying for leave to appeal and the case is listed for a final hearing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi what about if I have to be cross examined can I just make the application on submissions?
It will depend on whether the judge and parties wish to hear oral evidence. If not, then it can be made on submissions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If the parties and judge would wish for me to give me oral evidence what sort of questions will I be asked? How do I prepare myself. December 2014 I made an application to revoke the PO then my barrister advised me to withdraw my application because he said I will have to give oral evidence I won't do well only on submissions.
So I withdrew my application and I have reapplied last week through another firm.
I am getting nervous to give oral evidence
Dear Asma,
You can prepare yourself by reading all the evidence that will be filed and making sure that your statement covers all the areas which resulted in the removal of your children in the care proceedings and what work you have done to change things since then.
The oral evidence will ask questions regarding the assessments and reports, as well as what you say in your statement. Your legal representatives will sit down with you prior to any hearing where you have to give evidence to advise you of the process and what will likely arise in cross-examination.