How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My husband and I are getting divorced. We have been married

Customer Question

My husband and I are getting divorced. We have been married 14 years but together for 19 years. He is a very difficult man who can be very volatile. There has also been domestic abuse towards me. We moved to Italy in April 2007 and I moved back to the UK at end of August 2013 and I've been here ever since. He is still in Italy and says he intends to stay there indefinitely. He has sent me a number of very nasty emails and continues to do so from time to time. The tone of the emails is threatening and bullying and they are making things very difficult for me because I am very stressed and unable to sleep properly. He is saying that I have taken a lot of money from him over the years and that I have secreted it in various bank accounts. This is total rubbish. I have tried answering his questions but he doesn't listen and then asks the same questions over and over again. Is there some way that I can stop him contacting me with these ludicrous allegations. He also phones me and is usually aggressive. The divorce process is in the very early stages.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
I am sorry to hear about the abuse your husband is directing towards you. However, as he lives in Italy an injunction will not be effective as it will not be enforceable given that he is not in England.
I would suggest that you ignore all his emails and telephone calls and inform him that you will only communicate with him through your solicitor. You can instruct your solicitor to communicate on your behalf so that there is a filter between you and your husband until the divorce is concluded. I would also suggest, if you have not already done so, to obtain advice from your solicitor regarding settling the finances and obtaining a clean break - which basically severs all financial ties between you and your husband upon conclusion of the divorce.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, just following up to see if you have any further questions. Please rate positive if you found the information above helpful.