How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

On what grounds can social services ask me to leave my home?

Customer Question

On what grounds can social services ask me to leave my home? Do they need a court order? and on what grounds can they put my children on the child protection register? :lastly, on what grounds can they say i must be supervised with them?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
Social services cannot ask you to leave your home. If you have a tenancy agreement in place the only way to lawfully remove you from your home is if a possession order is made to your landlord, and subsequently a notice of eviction is granted.
Your children can be placed on the child protection register if social services have concerns about the level of care you, or any other party who has care of the children provide them with inadequate care - the categories that this comes under is neglect, emotional abuse and physical abuse. Before they are put on the child protection register there will be investigations and thereafter a child protection conference where you are invited, along with the allocated social worker and all other professionals (such as teachers, medical professionals etc) where they will decide whether your case meets the criteria to be placed on the child protection register. If this is the case a child protection plan is put in place so that you undertake work to address the concerns raised.
Social services can put in place a supervised contact plan if they have concerns that you cannot provide adequate care to your children and if they are concerned that you may subject them to neglect, emotional or physical abuse.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I have been a Family lawyer for 30 years and deal with Care cases.Social Services can ask you to leave the house is they consider you to be a risk to the children in some way.They cannot force you to leave - but they can tell your partner that if you do not leave then the children will be removed from his/her care.They can say that you need to be supervised if there is a risk of harm - either directly or because of domestic violence and again they can use the threat of Care proceedings to force your partner to agree to this.You can read more about the process here be aware that the typical action is to place pressure on your partner using the fear of removal to ensure that you leave the propertyPlease ask if you need further details
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this. Please rate positive if you found the previous information helpful.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not and you found the the information provided helpful please could you rate my response positive so that the question can be closed.