How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

What is the correct procedure a school should follow if it

Customer Question

What is the correct procedure a school should follow if it needs to check the validity of a separated parents Parental Responsibility? If there are formal court ordered restrictions to PR how is a school informed? Can a school over ride a parents usual rights by the schools own authority? If it attempts to do this is there a procedure to follow, like informing the local authority it is making such restrictions to a parents normal rights?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
If there has been a court order restricting a parent's parental responsibility then the order should be provided to the school by the parent who made the application. There would usually be a direction by the court that the order can be disclosed to the school.
A school cannot override a parent's parental responsibility. If they have concerns then they would make a referral to children's services who would carry out an investigation and inform the parents what action they will take - for example proceeding with court proceedings or child protection.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you