How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Clare, I have moved out of a property which I owned 16%

This answer was rated:

Hi Clare, I have moved out of a property which I owned 16% of, my partner and I were not married but had been together for 20 years, he made me sign a piece of paper saying I owed him £25,000 which would be deducted from my 16% can he do this?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
When did you sign this and what was it meant to be for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Clare,My ex partner paid off my credit cards for money spent on the house and various other things basically for our life together. He wants to deduct that from the 16% (70,000) that I input for the buying of our home. But he keeps all the items that I bought, which were part of the credit card bill. I signed this March 2015
Would you like the items involved?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I had to downsize considerably, and it wouldn't be practicable. My main concern is can he take half of my money even if I have signed a consent?
is a sale imminent?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, although I have signed for my 16% with a solicitor, it is very much his house!
Ah i see - when will you get your money?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no idea, nothing in process at the moment, might be waiting a long time!
Do you have a copy of the Declaration of Trust protecting your investment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not on me, the solicitors would have a copy I presume?
They should - and you need to see it as it should tell you how you can trigger a sale and the release of your fundsOnce you have this you can decide what action you wish to take.You can certainly challenge the document that you signed - if he has kept the goods then he should keep the debt and you signed under duress.I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is Clare thank you for your help
You are most welcome
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you