How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partner and I have separated after 15 years and 3

Customer Question

My partner and I have separated after 15 years and 3 children later. I gave up a well paid job to raise a family . My partner continued on his career path. We were not married and I did not want the relationship to end. I would like to know other than child maintenance am I I titled to any other spouse maintainance. We share a mortgage together which he is currently paying.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
I am sorry but since you were not married you have no right to claim maintenance for your self at all.
It is possible (if he is a high earner) that you could apply under Schedule 1 of the Children Act for him to continue paying the mortgage or part of it, but that is it I am afraid.
I am sorry to give bad news - please ask if you need further details