How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My ex partner has said she is moving abroad with my daughter

This answer was rated:

My ex partner has said she is moving abroad with my daughter but wont disclose any detsils or wether my daughter has a passport I am worried she is going to abduct her
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
Please confirm if you were married to the mother at the time of your daughter's birth. If not, please confirm your daughter's date of birth and if you are named on her birth certificate.
This information is required to confirm if you have parental responsibility, after which I will be able to inform you of your options.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
04/01/2010.yes I am named on birth certificate.
Thank you for the confirmation. As you have parental responsibility the mother will need to obtain your consent to take your daughter out of the country. If you cannot reach agreement and she is moving without your consent, and your refusal is reasonable, you can make an application to Court for a Prohibited Steps Order under form C100 to family court local to where your daughter usually resides.
The Order, if granted, will prevent her leaving the country. The Court will need to assess the risks and the reasons for the travel, and potential move and decide what is in your daughter's best interests.
Please do let me know if you need further information regarding this so that I can assist you.