How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My daughter and her partner have split up. they have 3 children

This answer was rated:

My daughter and her partner have split up. they have 3 children 8 months, 2 years old and 7 years old. He wants the children 3 days per week Sunday to Wednesday. He works he wants his new partner who does not live with him to look after the children, my daughter wants to look after them in the day and take them when he finishes work. He is stating he can do what he wants with them on his days. He is violent and threatening to stop her seeing them at all. Where can we go for advise please.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
If you have concerns regarding the time he spends with the children then you are within your rights to refuse his proposal. The children have a right to have a relationship, and contact with their father but this right does not extend to his new partner and the time he spends with them should be for him.
I would suggest the first point of call is to consider a referral to an independent mediator to attempt to reach an agreement that is in the children's best interests. You can find local mediators here
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you