How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My Grandchildren are under a child protection order their father

This answer was rated:

My Grandchildren are under a child protection order their father is in Elmley prison and would like to see them and they want to see him. The social worker has said that the two older children can go but the two younger ones can not they are aged 9 & 5 as this is not a suitable environment for them and may have damaging effect on them. Can I take them and where do I stand legally if they express a desire to see him.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
If the child protection plan states that the younger children do not see their father in prison, then you should abide by this plan as it will reflect negatively and may cause a change in the plan for the children.
However, the social worker should not be refusing contact between the father and the younger children due to only the prison environment. This should not be a factor as they have a right to have a relationship with their father and the social worker should propose a way to facilitate this. Prisons have facilities and rooms where contact can take place between parents and children and the social worker should be reminded of this. Furthermore, if the two older children are allowed contact as part of the plan, then the social worker should make efforts so that the relationship between all the children and father are equal.
Please do let me know if you have an further questions about this.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you