How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am getting divorce but I have a child a wife and a home which

This answer was rated:

I am getting divorce but I have a child a wife and a home which is owned by myself. who gets what
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
As a starting point all assets owned by you and your wife will need to be taken into account. You will also need to assess your child's needs, your needs and your wife's needs when deciding on how assets should be distributed.
To provide you more information I will need further details:
1. Who is currently living in your home?
2. Are there any other properties/assets?
3. How old is your child and who will be the primary carer?
4. When was the home bought (before/during the marriage)?
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my wife is in the home with my child, there are no other assets. the child is seven years old.
the home was brought during the marrige
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
primary care to my wife
Thank you.
Your wife will have a right to live in the property arising out of the marriage, despite it being in your sole name. She will also have a right to make a claim for the home as it is the matrimonial home and she is the main carer of your child and your child's interests will come first.
Therefore, it is most likely that if the matter went to court the court will decide that your wife should remain in the property until your child is 16 or finishes education, after which it is to be sold and the equity to be split between you and her.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the property is mortgaged and I wont be able to afford to keep it if I have to live somewhere else so what can I do
Your wife's financial position will need to be assessed to see if she can meet the mortgage repayments at it is usual in these cases for the occupier to meet the outgoings.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
she wont be able to meet the payments as she does not earn enough
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
plus there are debts to be settled
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
equity in the home around 250000
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
payments to the mortgage around 700 a month
She will need to demonstrate that she is maximising her earning potential and show why she will not be able to meet the mortgage outgoings. If the mortgage cannot be maintained then you would need to look at having the property sold and equity to be distributed between you. The future accommodation will need to be looked at, such as rented properties.
The debts will need to be shared if you can demonstrate that they were towards matrimonial expenses.
However, if she is unable to maintain the mortgage or afford to rent a suitable property, then have you considered you being the main carer of your child and for you to remain in the home?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't see that as an option but there's enough equity for he to rent as she will not be able to qualify for another mortgage. she if we split the equity ill walk with around 100000 for rent
It may therefore be the best option for the property to be sold as if the mortgage repayments cannot be met the property will be repossessed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What if she takes in lodgers will that be taken into account or will it be evaluated based only on her wages?
It will be based on all her income