How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My ex husband and I are divorced, we have been through court

Customer Question

My ex husband and I are divorced, we have been through court for the divorce, and child custody. However, my husband refused to offer me and financial recompense for the divorce, no pension . I cant afford a financial order but wondered about the possibility of taking him to the small claims court. I would claim for half the value of the family car which was owned.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
As there are matrimonial assets, including the car and the pension you will need to pursue an application for financial relief under Form A to be submitted to your local family court. You can still do this even though you have divorced (as long as you have not remarried). During the financial relief proceedings he will have to provide full and frank financial disclosure (as will you) so that the Court has full information regarding your positions and enabling the court to come to a fair decision regarding how the finances should be settled. The court will also look at the needs of your children when deciding a settlement.
I don't think it is in your interest to take this to a small claim court as you will be able to represent yourself in the financial proceedings if you cannot afford to instruct a solicitor/barrister.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. Please could you rate my response positive if you found the information helpful so that the question can be closed.