How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have a voluntary court sanctioned maintenance agreement for

This answer was rated:

I have a voluntary court sanctioned maintenance agreement for my ex wife and two children. My wife has just started a well - paid job . Am I obliged to continue maintenance at the same rate or can I just stop paying the portion of maintenance allocated to her ?
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWhat is the split between spouse and child maintenance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I pay a total of £5,500 a month and I think roughly 1/3 for each child ( son 15 years daughter 18) - I don't have the agreement with me ......
It is essential to know the exact wording I am afraid if you want some specific assistance - I can however give you an over view if you prefer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am only expecting an overview ......
My apologies for the delayIf the maintenance is paid under the terms of a Court order then you cannot simply stop paying any part of it as otherwise your ex can simply take enforcement action against you.The starting point is to try and discuss a reduction with your ex using Family if this fails then you will need to apply to the court for a downward variation.I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you