How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

HiI am naturalised UK citizen and have a child from previous marriage

This answer was rated:

I am naturalised UK citizen and have a child from previous marriage in Romania, for which I paid monthly maintenance 25% (as per court order.I paid the amount of an average Romanian wage. She is now almost 19, student at a university and as per local laws she is entitled to child maintenance during her studies up to 25 years of age. I have continued to send money monthly, paid the yearly university fee and sent additional amount when possible. Recently she went to a local court and demanded 25% of my UK income. The court citation was sent to my relative's address in Romania,my UK address being mentioned as well.
I feel like I am threatened and in a way blackmailed and I am tempted to stop sending her anything all together. Is this a bad idea?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And what are my responsibilities and rights as a UK citizen.
Thank you for your prompt reply.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information first.How much is your income - and how much are the fees that you pay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for responding Clare.
However I'm not sure I made myself clear; my question is, as a British citizen, can I stop payments to my Romanian daughter who has completed her A Levels ? or do I need to keep paying as the Romanian court order states - I pay until she's finished all her education up to 25 years old?
I have always paid 25% of a Romanian wage and sent additional yearly. I am still paying and have just sent her additional € 500.
Thank you for your prompt response.
I am afraid that a Romanian Court Order can indeed be enforced in the UK - so if the Order will continue in Romania then yes you will need to continue to pay
I am sorry to give bad news - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you