How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35056
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am an Irish Citizen living in London currently married

Customer Question

I am an Irish Citizen living in London currently married to an Indonesia Citizen (who has UK Indefinite leave of remain also). We got married in Indonesia, 9 years ago and she came to the UK on EEA Family permit and then got her indefinite leave to remain.
We bought a house 7 years ago and have a mortgage under both of our names. She moved to Indonesia 1.5 years ago and filed for a divorce in the court in Indonesian court, 6 months ago.
I need to find out the following
1. Since we are not registered in the UK. Am I allowed to marry again ?
a. I am currently dating someone and hopefully want to marry her next year ?
b. She is currently in Indonesia also, can I bring as my spouse to the UK ?
2. She didnt pay anything for the house and is not paying any mortgage but the house under both of our names
a. Is she entitled to 50 percent share ?
b. What can I do to remove her name from the deeds and the mortgage ?
c. Is there a way I can remove her from the mortgage and the house altogether ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you1. No - you are married and there is no requirement to register foreign marriages in the UK. You cannot marry againOR bring your new partner to UK until you are divorced.2.A nine year marriage gives her a clear financial claim on the property and it is unlikely that the family court will stray much from a 50/50 division of the assets. You will need to buy her out if you wish to remove her from the deedsPlease ask if you need further detailsClare