How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1439
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My niece has been estranged from her birth mother on and off

This answer was rated:

my niece has been estranged from her birth mother on and off for a lot of years. she has been trying to make things work between them but to no prevail.
my wife and i spent about 7 years of her childhood looking after my niece as part of our family after her mother agreed to let her live with us, consequently because of the final disagreement with her mother we asked if she would like us to formally adopt her and she has agreed.
what would be the next step to get the ball rolling ? and how difficult is it potentially to do do this as she is 26 years of age?
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist.
I am sorry to say that once a person reaches 18 they can no longer be legally adopted in the UK.
Kind Regards
ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you