How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My father jointly owned a house with my brother [mom was not

This answer was rated:

my father jointly owned a house with my brother [mom was not named on the registry]
dad died in 1996 - as mom is still with us - does this mean she automatically acquires his share ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he didn't leave a will to my knowledge
Thanks for your question.
Do you know how your father and your brother held your interests, it will either be as "joint tenants" or "tenants in common"?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
oh i,m not sure - where would i find that information from please - would it be on the land reigstry ?
Yes. Do you have a copy of the land registry title for the property identifying your brother and father as owning the property at "Section B: Proprietorship Register"?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes - i do - in front of me - it says
title absolute - then both their names as proprietors
Below their names is there an entry which reads as follows:
" No disposition by a sole proprietor of the registered estate (except a trust corporation) under which capital money arises is to be registered unless authorised by an order of the Court"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no - nothing at all like that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nothing at all like that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
are you still there please
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
I don’t really know if this is good news or bad news.
If there is no entry there in the form I asked about then this means that your father and brother held the property as “joint tenants”. Assuming this is hold they held the property at the time of your father’s death then this would mean that your father’s interest in the property would pass automatically to your mother.
It would pass automatically even if your father had a Will which expressly stated that it should pass to someone else (eg your mother),
This means that all your brother would have to do in order to have the property transferred to his sole name would be to produce the death certificate to your father.
Only if they held the property as “tenants in common” (shown by the aforementioned entry being in the land registry title register) would your mother have potentially inherited the property.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you so much -you gave me the answers I was looking for !
No worries.
Please do remember to leave feedback, otherwise I don't get credit for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
feedback has been left - many thanks - well worth it
Thanks. Good luck.