How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am currently divorcing my husband, the home I live in is

Customer Question

I am currently divorcing my husband, the home I live in is In my name and I have always paid for it.He has only lived in it for 9 years whereas I have owned it for 22years. If I transfer the deeds to my children will it stop him making a claim on it during the divorce
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
No, this will be considering disposal of assets and the court has the power to penalise you and to reverse the transfer. Your husband will also have the right to make an application to court to prevent this from happening.
As part of the financial negotiations there has to be full and frank financial disclosure from both you and your husband. Concealing or disposing of assets will have consequences and the court can make an order that is less favourable for you if it comes to light that this has been done in order to prevent your husband obtaining a share.
Is the property the family home? If it is, then your husband will have matrimonial home rights and will be entitled to a share of the property despite you owning it solely for 22 years and him living there for 9 years. Matrimonial home rights also give him the right to occupy the property.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively so that the question can be closed.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.