How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35069
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Ma'am, My father has passed away with no will but

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Ma'am,
My father has passed away with no will but I am the next of kin. However he is not on my birth certificate. Do I have any legal claim to any of his assets, pension etc.
Thanks in advance.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
Are there any other possible beneficiaries? Such as siblings or wife? Were your parents married at the time of your birth?
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I have been a family lawyer for 30 years.The fact that he is not named on the birth certificate is a problem - BUT it is not insurmountable if there is evidence that he acknowledged you as his child during his lifetime.If here is any one who is likely to challenge this you will need to apply to the Court for permission to have a DNA test.Please ask if you need further detailsClare