How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Ive been seeing a lady that is separated from her husband;

This answer was rated:

Hi, Ive been seeing a lady that is separated from her husband; they have two children.
He is making it difficult for us to see each other by saying that she is not to see me with or without the children.
I was wondering if he can do anything legally to back this up.
Many thanks,
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
How long have you been in a relationship with her and how old are the children?
Without the children he cannot really force her to stop seeing you, however, when the children are with her it is a reasonable request that any new partners do not have contact with the children until such time that the relationship would appear to be long-term and it has been agreed between the parents. You having contact with the children will likely cause them uncertainty and introduction into their lives would have to be a gradual process to ensure that it does not impact their emotional well-being.
If he feels that the matter is serious enough by you seeing the children then he can apply to court for a Prohibited Steps Order to prevent you seeing the children - however he will have to prove to the court that it is in the children's best interests not to see you and that it can have an undue influence on them.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you