How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I'm going through a separation and living in the house which

This answer was rated:

Hi I'm going through a separation and living in the house which belongs to her but we do have another property that we jointly have a morgage for but is rented to her son,
The question is what rights do I have?
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
Please confirm:
- if you are married or cohabiting with your partner
- whether you have any children together (and their ages)
- what contributions you have made to her property
- if there has been any domestic violence between you/reasons for the separation
- if your son has any children
- terms of the tenancy for your son
If you are not married, legally the property you are living in which is in her sole name will be hers only - but I will be able to provide you further information if you can confirm the above details.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We are cohabiting we don't have any children together and her son dosn't have any children living with him there has been no domestic violence not sure on the tendency agreement
What contributions have you made towards her property and do you have any agreement (eg. cohabitation agreement or agreement that any contributions will entitle you to a share of her property)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've been paying her £300 per month as she remortgaged the house to help her daughter out
Thank you.
Unfortunately, unless there has been explicit agreement that your contributions will entitled you to a share of the property you have no rights to claim a share of the property.
You are entitled to a share of the joint property in accordance to how the title is held.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.