How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My husband and myself split up 4 years ago with no formal

Customer Question

My husband and myself split up 4 years ago with no formal divorce although I did sign a 2 year separation agreement. We came to a mutual agreement that I would remain in the family home with my daughter until she leaves school. I pay the mortgage and he
pays my utility bills instead of maintenance. I fear this may have been my amicable split short fall as the hmrc think now he still resides here and are investigating they want my utility bills mortgage statements, council tax phone bills and my bank details
back dated from a year. I realise now that my bills are still in his name. Is this proof of residence in beside myself now with worry. Many thanks ceri
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
The utility bills being in his name is ***** ***** that he still resides there. Is the council tax still in his name, and is he registered elsewhere for the electoral roll, as this will be helpful to demonstrate that he no longer lives there. If they query why the utility bills are still in his name, then your explanation is as you have stated - he pays these instead of maintenance.
The separation agreement will also help in arguing that he has moved out.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this. Please rate positively if you found this information helpful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just checked yes his name is ***** ***** council tax and mine is in my maiden name. No he is not registered as living here as currently he seems to live from place to place again I realise that doesn't help me!
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
As long as he is registered as living elsewhere then this will assist your position. Again, the separation agreement itself will be most helpful in arguing this.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively so that the question can be closed.