How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Deeds of my house are in my name only. I have agreed to add

This answer was rated:

Deeds of my house are in my name only. I have agreed to add partners name to deeds, would this cause any problems?
Thank you for your question. As you are putting her name on the title deed, this will give her a legal interest in the property and therefore afford her rights upon sale, and a potential claim by her that she should receive a share of the equity. Also, if you are named as joint tenants on the title, your share will automatically pass to your partner on your death and vice versa. Whereas if you are tenants in common your respective shares (whether 50-50 or unequal shares) will pass in accordance with your will or if there is no will in place under intestacy rules.___Please rate positively if you found this helpful.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you