How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My name is ***** ***** divorce my step daughter decided

This answer was rated:

hi my name is ***** ***** divorce my step daughter decided she does not want to live with my ex so i agreed for her to stay with me after i decided to move in with my new partner she also moved in with us she is 13 y old and we had to change her school near to our new home .Now her mother put up a case in court that i have abducted the child and abused kid wants to stay with us and does not want to see her mum please any help on it?
Hi, thanks for your question.
Was this arrangement agreed by her mother?
As you are her stepfather you do not have parental responsibility and therefore legally, you do not have rights to make decisions regarding her upbringing. However, the court does have the power to make an order giving you parental responsibility, but this will need to be in your stepdaughter's best interests and you will need to demonstrate to the court that you have a relationship with her.
Once parental responsibility is granted you can make an application for a child arrangement order for your stepdaughter to live with you.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no it wasn't her mother was no where to be found and did not want to keep in touch with neither me or her
You will have a chance to respond to the application and submit any counter application as detailed above.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
While the case is on can I make a c1 aplication on my behalf as she did or is that pointless
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry to keep you awake so late if you prefer I can continue tom
No, it's fine. I will respond to the other issues from your other question here to make it easier.
As she has been with you for ten years you will have good prospects to pursue the application for her to remain with you.
You will need to make a counter-application to the same family court under Form C100 for a child arrangement order for the child to live with you. You will need to include details of the mother's application (court case number) so that the two applications can be linked together and be dealt with at the same time.