How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I co-own a property with my girlfriend. I bought out

Customer Question

I co-own a property with my girlfriend. I bought out her ex-husband from the mortgage approx 12 months ago. My partner has two children from her previous marriage that live with us. I suspect our relationship has broken down beyond repair and want to know what considerations I should make as I negotiate the next few months. As my girlfriend and her two children have lived in the house since the children were born (aged 10/11) I suspect it would be difficult to force her to sell the property so how do I safeguard my equity stake in the property and move on? I am the main income provider
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Was a declaration of trust or cohabitation agreement made?
If not then your respective shares will be as they are hold on the title. If you cannot agree a settlement and she wishes to stay in the property, she can pursue an application to court to stay in the property until the children finish higher education, after which the property can be sold and equity split as the title is held.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively so that the question can be closed.