How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35077
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Is it a straightforward matter to amend a mutually agreed contact

This answer was rated:

Is it a straightforward matter to amend a mutually agreed contact agreement? My 8 year old son lives with his mum and stays with me, his Dad, 2 nights a week. This was agreed between us in the middle of a custody case, without the need for it to go to a judge to decide contact. This was 3-4 years ago now and my son has now announced he would be happier living with me. His mum has "agreed" to doing this in 6 months time if our son feels the same way. But has told me it is likely to require court proceedings etc whereas I feel that as it was agreed mutually then this wouldn't be necessary. Can you please advise?
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help youIf you both agree to a change then there is no need for any court application - if not there will be - and be warned 8 is too young for a child's wishes to be decisive in the matter,One option would be to take a progressive approach and suggest that you simply have one extra night a week and see how that works out I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you