How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My daughter is 4 months pregnant but she is no longer in a

Customer Question

My daughter is 4 months pregnant but she is no longer in a relationship with the baby's father as he had become very obsessive and possessive toward her during the relationship, questioning her every move.
Every day he is either texting her to say he loves her and wants to be with her, or he is bad mouthing her to all who will listen.
She has said he can see the baby when he comes but wants nothing to do with him romantically. She is not Pursuing him for any money towards baby etc.
It is unfortunate that they share many friends. He has pushed her so hard that she is close to telling him that he will not see the baby or her if he continues this way.
What are her rights? Must she legally give him access etc?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
The child has a right to a relationship with both parents and your daughter must attempt to promote this, unless there are concerns about the level of care that the father will provide to the child. If they are unable to agree arrangements directly then it is for the father to pursue an application to court to see the child.
In relation to child maintenance, you have stated that your daughter does not wish to pursue him for money - however, if she remains the main carer for the child then she has a right to make an application to the Child Maintenance Service for child maintenance, which will be calculated based on the father's gross income. She should be aware that the father paying child maintenance does not automatically entitle him to see the child.
Regarding the constant text messages, your daughter must inform him, preferably in writing, that she is finding his messages harassing and that he should stop. Failing this, if he does not stop and she feels intimidated or harassed, she can consider making an application to court for a non-molestation order under Form FL401 to her local family court - however, this route should only be used if the messaging and communications are intimidating or threatening towards your daughter.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively so that the question can be closed.