How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My husband and I are divorcing after 2 years seperation. We

This answer was rated:

My husband and I are divorcing after 2 years seperation. We both agree that, as I bought the house we lived in before we married and have solely paid the mortgage, he will make no claim on the house. We have drafted & signed a Seperation Agreement to this effect some time ago. Is this sufficient?
Hi, thanks for your question.
No, that will not be sufficient to finalise the financial settlement as part of the divorce. You will both need to sign a consent order (detailing the agreement) and complete forms D81 disclosing your financial positions and, once the Decree Nisi is granted you can submit this to the court to approve. It is then for the court to assess that the settlement is fair for both of you, and for any children of the family.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you