How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

If I leave my wife Can she claim money from me to pay mortgage

This answer was rated:

If I leave my wife Can she claim money from me to pay mortgage payment if the deeds are in her name only
We have no children, married for two years, no shared ownership.
Both earning good salaries, I have 3 dependants from a previous marriage living with their mother
Hi, thanks for your question.
Both of you will be able to make financial relief applications in relation to assets and income. However, whether this will be granted or approved by the court will depend on both of your incomes and your needs. If she is able to meet her reasonable needs and pay the mortgage solely then it will be difficult for her to make such a claim. Your needs appear to be greater given that you have commitments to other children.
If the property that is in her sole name was the marital home, then you have matrimonial home rights arising out of the marriage and you have the right to make a claim either to reside in the property or for a share arising out of the marriage and any financial or non-financial contributions made to the property and family.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's not the matrimonial home, and I have no real interest in trying to mKe a claim from her for any financials, I'm just trying to ascertain if she could take any of me earnings if I do decide to leave her
Thanks for your help