How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I got married in 2000 in the USA, I am a dual EU and the US

Customer Question

I got married in 2000 in the USA, I am a dual EU and the US citzen, my husband is a US citizen. We have a son, who is now 14 years old and resides in London with me, also a US citizen. My son and I have moved from our last common family residence in New York City to London, UK in 2007, and the two of us have been living here ever since. My (still) husband lives in New York city, but I do not know his address or phone number and we do not keep in touch. I would like to find out which law would apply to me if I was to file paper work from divorce? Also, how would I be able to locate him to serve the papers and how can I protect myself from him turning the divorce proceedings against me? Eg.: claiming spousal support, requesting for me to pay for our son's expenses to travel to visit to see him, etc.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
As you are resident in England you would be entitled to pursue a divorce here. If you do proceed you would need to first obtain your husband's address and this can be done using the services of a tracing agent (such as:
Unless he has remarried since the separation he would be entitled to make a claim for financial relief (as would you) and the court will have to consider such an application based on numerous factors such as financial position, income and needs.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. Please rate my response positively if you found it helpful - I will not be credited for answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you!