How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My ex (wife) and I are divorced and I'm about to sign over

This answer was rated:

My ex (wife) and I are divorced and I'm about to sign over the house to her and be removed from mortgage and deeds. Does this have any affect on my custodial rights to my children, do I still get a say in what they do or if my wife wants to move etc? In the event that she dies would I still be automatically given sole custody and look after them?
Hi, thanks for your question.
No transfer of the mortgage and property to her will not impact issues regarding child arrangements and custody issues. If you were married at the time of your children's birth you would have parental responsibility and therefore you will need to be consulted regarding major decisions such as leaving the UK (for holidays or otherwise) relocation, health issues and schools. If you do not provide your consent then she will need to pursue an application to court for the court to make a decision regarding major decisions.
If she passes away, as you will likely be the only person with parental responsibility the children will be placed in your care unless the local authority raise concerns about their welfare.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thk you very much