How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I received divorce papers from my husband on Monday

Customer Question

I received divorce papers from my husband on Monday 4th January. I wasn't expecting them so have not had time to arrange representation. We have a 6 year old son but he has not included a statement of arrangements. I am supposed to sign to say I have received the petition within 8days. I am not contesting the divorce but I am concerned that my husband has not mentioned arrangements for our son. Do I have to sign the papers before this has been arranged and do I need to arrange legal representation? I really don't even know where to start!
Emma Chapman
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to mention that I also own the home we lived together in for two years. He didn't pay towards any of the bills mortgage or utility
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
I can understand that this would be a stressful position to be in but hopefully I can assist.
The procedure has changed and he no longer needs to file a statement of arrangement regarding your son - if there are issues regarding arrangements then this will need to be dealt with separately (such as mediation or through the courts under a child arrangement application).
In relation to the acknowledgement of service you do not necessarily need legal representation at this stage and you can fill this in yourself and send it back to the court.
In relation to the home, as you are married and it was the matrimonial home for two years he has is entitled to make a claim (both in relation to this home and the wider assets), and you are also entitled to make a claim. The first point of call regarding the children and financial issues is to make a referral to an independent mediator who can assist you in reaching an amicable agreement - if mediation is unsuccessful then you will be able to apply to the court regarding both matters. You can find independent mediators here:
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. Please rate my response positively if you found it helpful - I will not be credited for answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you!