How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12092
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Myself and 3 brothers have power of attorneys parents.

Customer Question

Myself and 3 brothers have power of attorneys for my parents. My father has dementia and my mother would like to change the deeds to just her name. Is this something we can do? Or can his half be gifted to her? Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
Assuming the power of attorney contains the power to deal with property (which most standard ones do) then you can, acting as your father's attorney) have the title transferred to your mother. As no cash will be changing hands it will be a gift of his one half share. As it is a transfer between husband and wife there are no tax implications.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please can you advise how I go about getting my dads share gifted to my mum?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Your family solicitor should be contacted and asked to prepare and register the appropriate title deed in the Land Registry.