Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221
Family Law

Good Afternoon, I was granted a decree nisi in 2005. I was so excited to be out of the r

Good Afternoon,
I was granted a... Show More
Good Afternoon,
I was granted a decree nisi in 2005. I was so excited to be out of the relationship thatI overlooked the fact that I needed an absolut to be declared divorced. Can I still apply for a decree absolut?
Show Less
Hi, thanks for your question.
That is correct - the Decree Nisi is not the final order of divorce and an application for Decree Absolute would need to be made. Are you sure that the Respondent has not applied for it?
If they have not then you can still apply for Decree Absolute to the family court that issued the Decree Nisi, however you will need to provide a statement alongside the application explaining why it has taken so long to apply for the Decree Absolute.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a rating.