How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now
Family Law
This answer was rated:

Good Afternoon, I was granted a decree nisi in 2005. I was so excited to be out of the r

Good Afternoon,
I was granted a... Show More
Good Afternoon,
I was granted a decree nisi in 2005. I was so excited to be out of the relationship thatI overlooked the fact that I needed an absolut to be declared divorced. Can I still apply for a decree absolut?
Show Less
Ask Your Own Family Law Question
Hi, thanks for your question.
That is correct - the Decree Nisi is not the final order of divorce and an application for Decree Absolute would need to be made. Are you sure that the Respondent has not applied for it?
If they have not then you can still apply for Decree Absolute to the family court that issued the Decree Nisi, however you will need to provide a statement alongside the application explaining why it has taken so long to apply for the Decree Absolute.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a rating.