How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am going to mediation separation and division

This answer was rated:

I am going to mediation for marriage separation and division of property and finance.
Once we have gone through mediation do we need a lawyer? At what stage does it go to court?
Hi, thanks for your question. Once an agreement is reached you will need to have that made into a formal consent order and it is advisable that a solicitor prepares that for you or considers one that is prepared by your spouse's solicitor as it can become a complicated document and you need to ensure that it properly reflects your agreement and intentions. Once the consent orders are agreed and signed you both need to fill in a D81 form disclosing your brief financial position and this accompanies the consent order for submission to the court for approval. You can only submit it to the court once Decree Nisi is granted.
Please let me know if you have any further questions about this.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you