How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My wife and I moved into our house 7 years ago (and live

This answer was rated:

My wife and I moved into our house 7 years ago (and live with our 2 children) after securing a mortgage using a deposit from her grandmothers inheritance, also my name does not appear on the mortgage because at the ime I'd only just recently become self employed and was not able to get a loan, but I have been paying off the morgage since we moved with regular monthly direct debit into her bank account. My question is: if we separated would I have and claim on the property?
Thank you
Em***** *****
Hi, thanks for your question.
Please confirm that you are in England or Wales?
If you are - the home is the matrimonial home and you therefore have matrimonial home rights which entitle you to live there and to a share of the property upon divorce. If your name is ***** ***** the title of the property you are able to make an application to the Land Registry under Form HR1 to register your home rights - this will put a paragraph on the title which will inform any potential buyer that you have an interest in the property.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you