How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Could you please advise how I can help my son, the respondent,

This answer was rated:

Hello. Could you please advise how I can help my son, the respondent, protect his shared equity (housing association) jointly owned flat, in the likely event that any settlement would take into account the age of the children (youngest is 8) and remain in the house and it not to be sold for years? Meanwhile, he has nowhere to live and is sleeping on my sofa? So, I am wondering if a deferred sale would be negotiated but how does this work with rising prices and him homeless? Thank you.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Who is the main carer of the children and what are the arrangements for the non-resident parent to see the children? Do the parties have other assets?
In such matters the court usually grants what is known as a Mesher Order to the resident parent, and once the youngest child reaches a certain age (eg. 18 or finishes education) the property is to be sold and the equity to be divided between the parties as ordered.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you