How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12181
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

The estate of my ex-wife is now being closed out. The

This answer was rated:

The estate of my ex-wife is now being closed out.
The residue of the estate is being divided in equal parts to the beneficiaries = my 3 children (all adults).
20% VAT is listed against the solicitors charge / fee.
2 of the children live outside of the UK.
Are they able to reclaim the (proportional) VAT against their benefit from the estate?
If Yes, Should the solicitors list the VAT charges against each beneficiary? (they are aware of the overseas locations).
Thank for your question.
No they can't in my view, as the taxable services are being provided to the estate, not to the beneficiaries. The estate is situated in the UK.
I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you