How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My husband divorced me in 2008 after a 35 year marriage. He

This answer was rated:

My husband divorced me in 2008 after a 35 year marriage. He has paid spousal maintenance since then. Today I received an email from him saying that he is retiring due to ill health in April this year. As he has remarried, can I claim some maintenance from his now wife? I know this sounds callous but I am at a loss to know what to do now
Hi, thanks for your question.
Was there a court order in relation to the spousal maintenance?
If there was, that order will continue until any of the trigger events (such as your remarriage) take place and if he wished to vary the spousal maintenance due to his change of circumstances he would need to issue a court application to do so.
However, you will not be able to make a claim for maintenance from his new wife.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you