How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Me and my husband seperated oct 2015 we have 2 children

Customer Question

Me and my husband seperated oct 2015 we have 2 children 6 and 5!
I have recently found my self a new job and would like to move house and move the children schools only 40mins from where we live now so the contact with there father will remain the same. However me and my ex husband do not get on and be would not agree to the school move even though it a like for like school. Could you please tell me if could stop me also how long it would take of he did decided to take through court.
Many Thanks Lucy
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also I have already filled the paper work out for the school it only required one signature and that's by who the children stay with the majority of the time which is me! So do I need his permission which he has declined can I just proceed without his consent
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
If you were married at the time of the children's birth he would have parental responsibility and you would need his agreement for this as it is a major decision in relation to their upbringing and should not proceed without his consent.
You should initially attend a mediation information session yourself (you can find details of local mediators here: who will assess if mediation is suitable. If it is not, they will provide you with a signed form to attach to your court application for you to pursue under Form C100 and a £215 court fee to your local family court. The application will be for a specific issue order and the court will decide all the facts of the case and what is in the children's best interests when deciding whether to agree to the move of schools.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.