How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have 2 children and they have their father's surname . I

This answer was rated:

I have 2 children and they have their father's surname . I would like my surname added onto their name so they have a double barrel surname . He won't agree can I do anything about this . I am not married
Hi, thanks for your question.
If his name was on the birth certificate and the children were born after 1 December 2003 then the father would have parental responsibility and you need his consent to change their surname. As he is refusing this you will need to issue an application to court for the court to decide if it is in the children's best interests for their surname to be changed.
Initially you would need to attend a mediation assessment appointment before you can proceed with the court application. You can find local mediators here:
After this you would need to submit an application to your local family court under form C100 together with a £215 court fee.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you