How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have recently come out of a two year relationship because

Customer Question

I have recently come out of a two year relationship because my step son has sexually abused my 11year old, I have returned living at my mums and my ex partner is trying to take our car from me...its in his name but I pay the finance on I have any leg to stand on ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you. The fact that a person is the 'registered keeper' of the car does not make him the owner. The car actually belongs to the finance company until the car finance is paid. As the person who obtained the finance you become the 'owner' for legal purposes. Your ex-partner is using the car I assume with your agreement. If you cancel that agreement he has no further right to the car. If he has been paying you to use the car he can then stop the payments. There is nothing illegal then in transferring the registered keepers details to yourself. I do think you have a leg to stand on. Surely he was doing nothing more than borrowing your car? Alice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No the finance is in his name but I give the money every month, we also have two static caravans that are in both our names but he wants me to sign them over to him to sell
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
I will ask my colleague Claire to have a look at this for you as she specialises in family matters.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HIMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help youWho paid the deposit on the car?