How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My son is just 18 and I have been paying CSA maintenance.

Customer Question

My son is just 18 and I have been paying CSA maintenance. He is intending to go to university and says that he will take me to court to claim further maintenance. Can he do this and if so, what should I pay?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
It is correct that your son can pursue an application to court for child maintenance. The amount will be depending on his reasonable needs and your financial circumstances. He would need to show that he genuinely requires the financial support during university. If such an order is made the maintenance will be paid directly to him and not to the other parent.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.