How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

If I come to a financial agreement with my husband

This answer was rated:

If I come to a financial agreement with my husband for our divorce... Ie- I get to live in the house, this is the maintenance I'd like etc and we both agree, but we want it to be legally binding.. Do we still have to go through courts and provide all my financial declarations to them?
Hi, thanks for your question.
Yes, once a financial agreement has been reached as part of a divorce a consent order and a D81 form (outlining brief income and asset positions) needs to be submitted once the Decree Nisi has been granted for the court's approval - the court will need to assess the agreement to ensure that it is fair for both of you, and any children before it is approved and then becomes legally binding.
Please let me know if you have any further questions about this.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Very helpful