James Mather
James Mather,
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace

When I split up with my ex-wife she did not return much of

Customer Question

When I split up with my ex-wife she did not return much of my property to me. It was valued around 40,000 and she kept most of it apart from some books, CD’s, DVD’s and a bike which she returned in pieces, without the tools to reassemble and with a couple of parts missing. Do I have any claim? Most of the assets were bought by me before the marriage, and during as I earnt 75% of the household income. If possible I'd like to avoid the family court and go for another court track.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information first.Why do you wish to avoid the family courts - an dhow long were you together?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Clare, it is well known that in the UK the family courts are anti-men and even by the standards of judges, the secret decisions have little logic or certainly no justice. I'd prefer to take this to an open court through the normal system of suing somebody.
We were together for 14 years.
For clarity - there has been no financial settlement in the matter already?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes there has but we keep reopening it as my salary changes.
Was there a full and final capital settlement and what did it say about the contents of the property?