James Mather
James Mather,
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace

When married I made a loan to my mother in law. The only

Customer Question

When married I made a loan to my mother in law. The only documentation is the wire transfer instruction. The loan for 50,000 Euros to buy an apartment. The arrangement was that when she had sold here she would repay the money I advanced to buy a new one in another town. During this period I got divorced from her daughter and now she won’t repay. My ex says to consider it as a “gift” but it’s not and was never intended as such. I suspect that she has sold the property she originally lived in and given the money to her other daughter to repay her student loan. Is there anything I can do to recover my money? If possible I'd like to avoid the family court system in the UK and use another track.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Where were you both when the agreement was made?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare.Me and wife? In UK
Me and mother in law...hmm, she was in Bulgaria and UK (she lived with us most of the time), but really agreement was discussed between wife and her mother, and then between wife and me.
Where are your ex mil's assets held?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In Bulgaria (it's in the EU)
None in the UK?