How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1370
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

If i was to divorce having been married year how

Customer Question

if i was to divorce having been married for one year how would the courts react to me withdrawing 45,000 pounds from my savings account and safe keeping (with my friend) which i had prior to marriage and was solely my own. i have no pre nup thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Either party is able to make a matrimonial finances claim on divorce. When the marriage is such a short marriage then the claim is somewhat limited.
Having said this - you are under a duty to Disclose when a matrimonial finance claim is made. This means all assets and liabilities have to be disclosed. The transaction would therefore come to light. If the court considered that you took such action to try and defeat your spouses claim then this would not be looked on well. The court may consider you untrustworthy. Court may also think you've tried to hide other assets.
So... Best not to try and transfer money elsewhere unless there is a genuine cause to do so. Best to fully disclose and argue it's a pre marital asset to try and limit your spouses claim.
Kind Regards
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work