How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I can't afford a solicitor so my only option is to

This answer was rated:

I can't afford a solicitor so my only option is to self-represent. How much will that cost me and what is the procedure?
Hi, thanks for your question.
Is this in relation to the divorce, or another matter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. The divorce court fee is £410.
You will need to initially complete a divorce petition under form D8 which should be submitted to the court with two copies. Once the petition is issued a copy will be sent to the respondent with a form to complete acknowledging service. Once this is returned, or if not returned and you prove that the respondent has been served you can proceed with an application for a Decree Nisi. Once the Decree Nisi is granted, after six weeks and one day you can apply for the Decree Absolute which finalises the divorce.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.