How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have defined contact order in place which has been working

Customer Question

I have defined contact order in place which has been working very well for several years, my child sees his father regularly every other weekend, 1 night for tea, and holidays thoughout year and we split Christmas also. I have recently changed over from csa to child maintenance and wanted to continue doing this as I have not been able to discuss money in past with my ex. He has offered me more money and offered to pay for school clothes and now because I did not agree and explained that I had already changed over to child maintenance he is demanding more contact time with our son, (more nights and holidays), he has been pressurising me with texts to agree child maintenance and now says he has a letter for me regarding shared parenting. What exactly does this mean? I have written back and explained that contact is working really well and that any changes would now disrupt routine that my son is in. He is getting on extremely well at school and has diabetes type 1 to manage which is a big worry. Please can you advise me what to do, I feel blackmailed and totally distressed by not agreeing to child maintenance.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
The money that he pays for child maintenance should not influence the amount of contact or the arrangements and these should be dealt with separately. Have you submitted an application to the the CMS and have they provided a calculation for the legal amount he should be paying?
Shared parenting - which may mean that your son spends equal amount of time with you may impact the legal amount of child maintenance that he pays, as the more nights a week on average he spends with him, the less legal obligation for child maintenance.
Given that things are amicable it will be best to attempt to agree not to change the status quo, unless it is in your sons best interests. In any event, if he wishes to change the terms of the arrangements he will need to apply to court to vary the contact order that is in place.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.