How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I had a civil course in the Queens bench court in London

Customer Question

I had a civil course in the Queens bench court in London between me and my ex-wife. The civil case started in 2010 and was closed in my favour in 2012 due to non-compliance / no show from my ex-wife. I have not previously looked at recovering costs but am interested in looking at that now, and want to know if there is a deadline to asking for a court order for costs and what it is, and what is the process ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Did the Court make an award for costs at the time the case was closed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there were multiple awards during the 2 years that were ignored by her - at the end she fled to the US and the court on me insisting dismissed the case but there was no formal application by me for awards of costs at that time
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
So are there any costs orders by the court?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the overall costs incurred throughout the two years are 60K pounds - during the course of the two years there were two cost orders by the court equalling about 7K pounds which were not paid by my ex-wife despite repeated attempts by me to stop the court proceedings until she does pay
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Ok - you can recover these £7k costs orders but nothing else. Only costs which have been ordered by the Court are you able to recover. If you had wanted to recover the entire costs then when the case ended you should have asked for a Court order to award those costs.
I assume you have not and as such any appeal should be made within 21 days. As it has been over 3 years I am sorry to say you are out of time to do that.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want but I have a duty to be honest. You can still enforce the costs orders you do have though. You have 6 years to do that from the date of the costs orders.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?