How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have a daughter that goes to see her dad every other

This answer was rated:

I have a daughter that goes to see her dad every other weekend, her Dad and I do not speak and her grandparents pick her up. My daughter comes home everytime upset and confused about things her Dad keeps saying about me, he says really nasty things about me being a bad mum and calling me names (which I really am not bothered about) but this now seems to be worrying my daughter. I feel this is not acceptable to keep saying these things to a 7 year old. Also my daughter has a sister and we and her mum have started having them spend time together but he has treatened the other mum to stop this. I am just not sure where to go with this, I cant speak to him or his family because they will just call my daughter a liar and that upsets her more.
Please give me any advice or if there is someone my daughter can speak to so this does not mess with her head anymore.
Cheryl Chalkley
Hi, thanks for your question.
Your concerns are entirely understandable and he should not be discussing or saying such things to your daughter. Furthermore, your daughter has a right to a relationship with any other sibling or half-sibling and he cannot stop this unless there are concerns regarding your daughter.
His comments are having an emotional and psychological impact on your daughter from what you have said, and it would be justifiable to stop contact until your concerns have been alleviated.
As a first point of call I would suggest that you consider either a solicitor writing a letter to him explaining this and threatening to stop contact, as well as outlining your daughter's right to sibling contact, or to make a referral to an independent mediator to sit down with him to reach an amicable agreement. Other than that it would be for him to make a court application for a child arrangement order, or if you feel it is necessary for you to make an application for a prohibited steps order to prevent him having contact with her on the basis of the emotional/psychological abuse.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you